
by Mary Norton
"The charitable attitude to adopt, Carey," said Aunt Beatrice in her precise, cutting voice, "is that you are not quite right in your head. This story about a South sea island, cannibals.... lagoons....If it were necessary to lie, a child of three could do better."
Carey swallowed.
"A magic bed..." Aunt Beatrice smiled acidly. "It might interest you to know, Carey, that I bought that bed myself in 1903, quite new, from Baring and Willow's- a most reputable firm," she added, "and not given to innovations".
6 comments:
I love Mary Norton, yet Bedknobs and broomsticks is the one book by her I haven't read.
Hey il!
B's and B's is the only Mary Norton I HAVE read. I was hung over and laying in the sun moaning and everything else seemed too heavy- literally and figuratively. I got a nasty burn by the way!
Have you read E. Nesbit? I adore her.
P.S. glad you're still checking my blog!
I have several Nesbit first editions but have yet to delve into them. What do you recommend I start with?
I've reread Norton's Borrowers series several times as I have the Narnia chronicles.
And of course I'm still readng your blog!
I cannot find my E. Nesbits, but if memory serves... Five Children and It was one of the best. The Story of the Amulet and something about the Phoenix. (The Phoenix and the Carpet?)The Wouldbegoods was great and of course, The Railway Children, but save that for later.
I've avoided Lewis but have read the anti-Narnia series by Philip Pullman... His Subtle Materials, I believe it was called.... my first foray into adolescent lit in many, many years. It was passable. For some reason, most of what is written for children seems dour and ill-tempered. maybe that's just me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Children_and_It
Oh god, I'd forgotten all about these books. I was totally obsessed when I was...11 maybe. Probably accounts for part of my obsession with all things U.K. You know, those books in a weird way remind me of Terry Pratchett's Bromeliad series, although those books are about gnomes.
Maybe you may want to get a facebook icon to your site. Just marked down the url, but I must make this manually. Just my $.02 :)
Post a Comment