Monday, September 14, 2009

New portrait






The fierce bidding at the auction did not allow many things to percolate down to my budget. This lovely portrait of a gentleman in a stiff collar was the only thing I was able to get at auction- fortunately it was my favorite piece and I would have stayed in the bidding beyond a reasonable price. Not signed, as far as I can see in the murk, but written on the stretcher bar is "Alan Beeton" who was a British artist, active in the 1920's, died in the war years, '42 or thereabouts. He has work in the Tate. Our art specialist believed this to be a portrait OF Beeton, possibly by Ambrose Patterson, possibly just once belonging to him. I thought I might rearrange my crowded mantle to put him there.
Here, also along with my mantle, are photos of the carousel bull, the Russian sailor boy and the delirium tremens.

No comments: