Tuesday, December 15, 2009

On "upstairs gods"

From "South Wind":

You seem to have a quarrel with Moses and his command- 
ments, which we are taught to regard as the keystone of
ethics. I don't want to discuss things. I want to listen
to the opinions of a man so different from myself as you
are. It may do me good. And I think I could stand
almost anything," he added, with a laugh, " in this
landscape — in this clear pagan light, as you call it."

" I used to be interested in such things as a boy. I
suppose all respectable boys are ; and I was respectable
even at that tender age. Nowadays, though I still pick
up an Oriental rug now and then, I have no further use
for Oriental gods."

" What is your objection to them ? "

Mr. Keith paused before replying. Then he said :

" The drawback of Oriental gods is that they have
been manufactured by the proletariat for the use of the
aristocracy. They act accordingly ; that is, they distil
the morality of their creators which I consider a noxious
emanation. The classic gods were different. They were
invented by intellectualists who felt themselves capable
of maintaining a kind of comradeship with their deities.
Men and gods were practically on a level. They walked
hand in hand over the earth. These gods belonged to
what one might call the horizontal or downstairs
variety."

" And those others ? "

" Oh, they are the upstairs or vertical type. They
live overhead. Why overhead ? Because they have
been created by the proletariat. The proletariat loves
to humiliate itself. Therefore they .manufacture a god
who approves of grovelling, a god who can look down
upon them. They exalt this deity to an infinite degree
in point of goodness and distance, and in so doing they
inevitably abase themselves. Now I disapprove of
grovelling. 7'hat means I disapprove of upstairs
gods."

" Upstairs gods "

" If you walk into my front door as a distinguished
visitor I am happy to show you the place. You can
prowl about the garden, poke your nose into the pantry
and learn, if it amuses you, all about my private life.
But if you rent a high attic overlooking my premises and
stare out of your window all day long, watching my
movements and noting down everything I do, why,
damn it, I call that vulgar. Staring is bad form. Vertical
gods are inquisitive. I don't like to be supervised. I
don't care about this dossier business. My garden is for
you and me to walk about in, not for outsiders to stare
into. Which reminds me that you have not been to see
me lately. You ought to come and look at my cannas ;
you really ought ! They are in magnificent bloom just
now. When shall it be ? "

Mr. Keith seemed to be already tired of the subject.
In fact he was as near being bored as ever he allowed
himself to be. But the other refused to let the conversa-
tion be side-tracked. He wanted to know.

" Vertical and horizontal gods. . . . Dear me. Sounds
rather profane."

" I have not heard that word for quite a long time."

" You don't feel the need of any kind of superior
being to control human affairs ? "

" Not up to the present. I can find no room in my
Cosmos for a deity, save as a waste product of human
weakness, an excrement of the imagination. If you
gave me the sauciest god that ever sat on a cloud or
breakfasted with the Village Idiot — 'pon my word, I
shouldn't know what to do with him. I don't collect
bric-a-brac myself, and the British Museum is dreadfully-
overstocked. Perhaps the Duchess could make some use
of him, if he specialized in lace vestments and choral
mass. By the way, I hear that she is going to be admitted
into the Roman Church next week ; there is to be a
luncheon after the ceremony. Are you going ? "

" Vertical and horizontal gods, ... I never heard
that distinction made before."

" It is a difference, my dear Heard. Mankind remains
in direct contact with the downstairs variety. That
simplifies matters. But the peculiar position of those
others — perpendicularly overhead at a vast distance —
necessitates a cumbersome code of verbal signals, un-
intelligible to common folk, for the expression of mutual
desires. You cannot have any god of this kind without
some such cumbersome contrivance to bridge over the
gulf and make communication possible. It is called
theology. It complicates life very considerably. Yes,"
he pursued, " the vertical-god system is not only vulgar ;
it is perplexing and expensive. Think of the wastage, of
the myriads of people who have been sacrificed because
they misinterpreted some enigmatical word in the code.
Why are you intent on these conundrums ? "

No comments: