Friday, January 23, 2009

Purging


In my ongoing purge, I have given the Cheever oeuvre to Kyle who adores the downcast. I tried, and enjoyed his adept craft, but ultimately could not endure his mood. If I restock it will be the iconic orange/red paperback. I gave E.F. Benson's collected Lucia novels and "As I lay Dying" to Ken. "History and Its Images" to David. The rest...an enormous box of books.... well, 20 or so. .. I took to HPB for which I received $3.00 cash with which I bought a Dale Peck ("Hatchet Jobs") and Stephens' "The Crock of Gold". And who was lost and who was saved?
..
..
..
..
..
Au revoir, Simone de Beauvoir! (pictured....really)
Ta-ta, Yasunari Kawabata!
Blow, Malraux!
Scram, Michael Cunningham!
Begone, Michael Chabon!
Take a hike, John Updike!
Don't let the door hit you in the ass, Gunter Grass!

6 comments:

ilduce said...

UGH! I've been doing the same for the past few months. In order to renovate my basement, I've had to e mpty it of my life long collection of books.

A great many of which were picked up becuase they wre going cheap and now they're going fast but not fast enough!

i'm awake said...

I WANT THEM! Dammit.

ilduce said...

Alas, two months too late. I threw out half my collection in November, about 1000 volumes(I ain't a librarian for nuthin!) The remainder is being sold bit by bit on Amazon.

Unknown said...

Why do you lie? I never got no "As I Lay Dying"?

nex said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
i'm awake said...

It's in the van. Get in.