Sunday, November 14, 2010

Lambert Orme nee Firbank

From Harold Nicolson:

His sitting room was exquisitely decorated.

When I think of that room, I am again convinced there

was something cabotin about Lambert Orme:

people at the age of twenty should not have rooms like that.

He had painted it shiny black....

I did not see him again for some five years. He

went round the world, and sent me a postcard from

Yokohama. He was immensely impressed by the

beauty of American cities, and it was from them that

he first learnt to see life as a system of

correlated planes. It was several years, however, be-

fore his very real and original talent for association

was finally able to cast the slough of symbolism.

When I next met him he was still intensively con-

cerned with the relation between things and himself:

it was only in his final period that he became

predominantly interested in the relation of things

towards each other. His talent, which though singu-

larly receptive was not very muscular, had failed to

attract any interesting synthesis from the confront-

ation of the universe with his own twitching heart:

He had tried, and failed, to interpret con-

scions cognition by a single simple emotion. But,

in his later period he did in fact succeed in conveying

original analysis, implicit rather than expressed of the

diversity and interrelation of external phe-

nomena: he was able to suggest a mood of subcon

cious perplexity sensitive to unapparent affinities.

The conception of life as a repetition of self-con-

lined and finite entities can be integrated only

by the pressure of a compelling imagination: Lambert's

imagination though mobile was not compelling- I

suspect indeed that less power is required to disinte-

grate such entities, to suggest a world of atoms for-

tuitously whirling into certain shapes, to indicate a

tremendous unknown, quivering below the crust of

our convention. His later poetry succeeded because

of its influence to this unapparent reality, I am now

assured that some of his later poems were very re-

spectable.



No comments: